12/14/2009

Life Every Day

Very early on in our marriage, even before we had kids for heaven's sake, I made the following sullen statement to my husband: "I am sick and tired of the tedium of everyday life." For some reason he found this priceless, hilarious, morose, so essence-of-my-wife, that he wrote it down on a piece of paper and put it in his sock drawer. I don't know if he still has it 20 years later, but I am sure he remembers it.

"Life is as tedious as a twice-told tale
Vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man."
--Shakespeare

Boy that just says it all. It astounds me how so much of what absolutely must get done every day is so stultifying. I know there is some sort of Buddhist/meditative concept around being present in the moment and being attentive, but I would prefer a three-ring circus to entertain me while I brush my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment